This product’s name is a mouthful, first of all. I got the Maybelline Clear Smooth All in One Shine-Free Cake Powder* from a BDJ Box last month, and I got the color Sand Beige, which is a pretty great match for me (at least, my skin-tone pre-beach tan). It might look a little off in the finger-swatch below…
… but it blends out quite nicely:
The texture is pretty nice, I have no real complaints. I don’t use these types of powders usually, since my skin is pretty dry and just occasionally oily. Maybelline had a lot of claims for this product, including the following:
- Shine Control — blend of water and sebum repellent powders keep skin matte and wonderfully fresh throughout the wear.
- High UV Protection — SPF 25, among the highest in sun protection shields from skin darkening and PA++ for added protection
- Instant Brightening — Infused with pro Vitamin C, it instantly makes skin look brighter and more natural
- Imperfections Blends Away — Ultra fine powders and coated pigments effortlessly cover spots for fair & even skin
- Long Lasting — Breathable and lightweight, make up stays true and even throughout the wear
- Visibly smooth complexion — Silky soft texture glides to visibly even out skin’s surface for a smooth application
- Conceal Blemishes — Blemishes are instantly concealed traceless. Skin looks flawless.
- Tone Perfecting — Developed for Asian skin tone, each shade blends effortlessly all over for a natural non-cakey finish.
Of these claims, I find only a few to be true, namely: Instant Brightening, Imperfections Blend Away, Visibly Smooth Complexion, Conceal Blemishes (though I don’t have very big spots), and Tone Perfecting. I have no way of knowing if it really has SPF, but let’s assume that it does. It’s decent at Shine Control, but it’s not that Long Lasting. I think that’s a pretty good percentage of pros!
Here I am wearing just the powder as a base. I think it’s quite nice. 🙂 It’s a really natural finish, while still providing ample coverage for spots and redness. I don’t have terrible skin, but I can use this alone for a quick base, even on my mostly dry skin. The SPF is an added plus!
The packaging is alright. It’s a pretty lightweight plastic and not attractive, but it’s functional and acceptable. It fits into my palm and has a decent-sized mirror and a sponge. 🙂 I really like how it’s easy to bring around everywhere since it’s so thin and small. I think you can purchase a refill as well!
All in all, I think this is a great budget buy if you’re on the look-out for a powder compact that you can use for touch-ups throughout the day.
* This item was provided for me, free of charge. I was not required to write or compensated for this review.
Maybelline is not cruelty-free.
I like this powder too, very cheap and handy. My only concern is that its not fall-proof especially the powder and the container. I was only able to use it for a couple of weeks I accidentally dropped it on the floor :p
PS. I love your blog!
Nice no? Sometimes I wear it alone and it’s enough. 😀 Oh no, I dropped it already haha but it’s still intact. Makes me feel like the next bump or drop will be the death of this compact!
PS Oh, thank you so much, you are too kind. 🙂
Pingback: The Weekender No. 1 | Softly Sometimes